On Tuesday, September 27th, 2022 Spain’s national team looks to come through on an elusive win vs. Portugal & Cristiano Ronaldo in Nations League competition. The head coach of Spain, Luis Enrique, attempted to remain optimistic regarding Spain’s chances of advancing in the Nations League competition after a recent disappointing home loss to Switzerland.
For once and for all, La Roja is still able to secure a spot in the Nations League finals if Spain is able to somehow come up with a win in Portugal on Tuesday, September 27th, 2022.
“We see it as a final,” Luis Enrique mentioned on Monday, September 26th, 2022 just 2 – days following their 2 to 1 defeat against Switzerland which dropped Spain from1st – place to 2nd – place in the Group A2 in front of the significant game which will be played in Braga. “It’s positive to arrive in the last round with a possibility to win the group.”
Beating Portugal is not a possibility that Spain has been finalize over recent time. The Iberian Peninsula neighbors have drawn their previous 4 – games against Portugal which does include friendly matches, and Spain has not defeated Portugal in close to 2 – decades.
In Spain’s most recent win versus Portugal came during a penalty shootout in the semifinals of the highly – contested and close as hell 2012 European Championship, and prior to that Spain came out victorious against Portugal in the round of 16 in the 2010 World Cup throughout a match where Portugal complained of a controversial offsides call on Spain’s David Villa’s game – winning – goal during the 2nd – half of that match.
While playing in Portugal, Spain has come out winless ever since a 3 to 0 dominant win during a friendly match back in 2003, when Fernando Torres made his national debut with the Spanish national team, and not too long following Cristiano Ronaldo beginning to play for Portugal.
“It’s all part of soccer. We have three recent matches in which we played well but didn’t win and they ended in draws,” Luis Enrique stated.
Both of these involved squads have played to draws 4 – consecutive matches since coach Fernando Santos took over the Portuguese football club following the 2014 World Cup, that included a wild 3 to 3 match to begin their operations in the group stage of the 2018 World Cup.
“We just have to focus on winning rather than reaching the final four,” Santos mentioned on Monday, September 26th, 2022. “I want the players to face Spain on their merit, as they do all opponents. Do that and we will always be closer to getting where we want to go.”
Spain desperately needs the win following them seeing their 22 – game undefeated streak at their home stadium or stadiums ended by Switzerland on last Saturday, September 24th, 2022. Portugal came out victorious at the Czech Republic with a final tally of 4 to 0 in order for them to take 1st – place in the Nations League and earn the possibility of advancing with only a draw on Tuesday, September 27th, 2022.
Only the group winners of the Nations League will be able to advance to the final four next June of 2023. Portugal has 10 – points, 2 – points over the Spanish national team so far. Switzerland has 6 – points, 2 – more points over the Czech Republic in front of their game in Switzerland to try to avoid the relegation of their football club.
Spain is seeking their 2nd – straight appearance in the final four after finishing as the runner – up to France last season. At that time, they also needed a last – day win in order to advance to the final four, and they did it by dominantly shocking Germany with a final score of 6 to 0 at their home stadium.
Luis Enrique explained that he did not anticipate very many changes for their club in the match versus Portugal despite their loss on last Saturday, although he admitted that their club had to improve their defensive aspects of their game, which is how Switzerland scored both of their goals.
Portugal, who was the ultimate winner of the inaugural edition of the Nations League back in 2019, may see the return of forward João Félix, who was not able to play in the match vs. the Czech Republic due to an injury. Félix was able to rejoin his teammates for training on Sunday, September 25th, 2022.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s Football Career Achievements, Honors, & Awards
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2002
- Premier League: 2006 – 2007, 2007 – 2008, 2008 – 2009
- FA Cup: 2003 – 2004
- Football League Cup: 2005 – 2006, 2008 – 2009
- FA Community Shield: 2007
- UEFA Champions League: 2007 – 2008
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2008
- La Liga: 2011 – 2012, 2016 – 2017
- Copa del Rey: 2010 – 2011, 2013 – 2014
- Supercopa de España: 2012, 2017
- UEFA Champions League: 2013 – 2014, 2015 – 2016, 2016 – 2017, 2017 – 2018
- UEFA Super Cup: 2014, 2017
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2014, 2016, 2017
- Serie A: 2018 – 2019, 2019 – 2020
- Coppa Italia: 2020 – 2021
- Supercoppa Italiana: 2018, 2020
- UEFA European Championship: 2016
- UEFA Nations League: 2018 – 2019
- FIFA Ballon d’Or / Ballon d’Or: 2008, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
- FIFA World Player of the Year: 2008
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player: 2016, 2017
- The Best FIFA Special Award for Outstanding Career Achievement: 2021
- European Golden Shoe: 2007 – 2008, 2010 – 2011, 2013 – 2014, 2014 – 2015
- FPF Portuguese Player of the Year: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- PFA Players’ Player of the Year: 2006 – 2007, 2007 – 2008
- Premier League Player of the Season: 2006 – 2007, 2007 – 2008
- Premier League Golden Boot: 2007 – 2008
- La Liga Best Player: 2013 – 2014
- Pichichi Trophy: 2010 – 2011, 2013 – 2014, 2014 – 2015
- Serie A Footballer of the Year: 2019, 2020
- Capocannoniere: 2020 – 2021
- PRT Ordem de Nossa Senhora da Conceicao de Vila Vicosa Cavaleiro ribbon.svg Medal of Merit, Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Viçosa (Portuguese Royal Family)
- PRT Order of Prince Henry – Grand Officer BAR.png Grand officer of the Order of Prince Henry
- POR Ordem do Merito Comendador BAR.svg Commander of the Order of Merit
- Cordão Autonómico de Distinção
Azzoni, Tales. “Nations League: Spain seeks elusive win in Portugal”. The Associated Press. Monday, September 26, 2022.
Football Reference News Services. “Cristiano Ronaldo”. Football Reference. Monday, September 26, 2022.